EARTH DAY is celebrated on April 22 every year, all around the world. It is the time to celebrate achievements we have made in protecting the environment. On Earth Day, new visions are also created to ensure that the community, both young and old, continuously moves towards protecting the environment for the generation to come… It is the time to ACT and PROTECT….. on EARTH DAY and everyday of our lives!!!
Green Shopping means that you shop in an environmentally-friendly manner, with the conscious mind of saving on resources and avoiding the use of materials that may harm the environment. A small, little way means a lot in the longer run…
Here are some GREEN SHOPPING TIPS that can you can observe…
1. Bring a long your own shopping bag
The Grocer at Bangsar Village is a fine example of a supermarket that encourages GREEN SHOPPING. Green cloth bags are provided to shoppers, which they can recycle the next time customers do their shopping. Carrefour, too, produces environmentally-friendly biodegradable plastic bags that will not harm the environment when it is disposed. As plastic bags are usually non-biodegradable, it is best not to be used regularly.
[Include Pix of the shopping bag from The Grocer]
2. Buy products in large sizes
Buying in large sizes reduces the use of packaging materials. Buying in bulk also saves you money as more discounts are enjoyed. Items with excess packaging and products that need to be discarded after only a few uses cost more money, use up valuable resources and create more waste. For example, buy juices in large packs, rather than half a dozen of individually packages juices.
3. Buy products that comes in reusable / recyclable containers
Back to the juice example again…. Buy juices in containers that you can reuse, as oppose to buying those that comes in paper packaging.
4. Buy long-lasting items
There are several examples of purchasing items that can last you longer, rather than those that you need to keep replenishing. For example:-
- Use rechargeable batteries in toys, flashlights, radios, instead of disposables ones.
- Use cloth diapers instead of disposable diapers.
- Use a real camera instead of disposable ones.
- Use cloth napkins, sponges, and cloth towels or wipes, rather than paper towels and napkins.
- Use washable plates, cups, and silverware for parties and picnics instead of disposable products.
- Use an electric razor or hand razor with replaceable blades instead of disposable razors.
- Use a washable mug, rather than Styrofoam or plastic cups every day
Last but not least, CAR POOL when you go shopping. Save on fuel, save on parking fees and most of all avoid contributing to the air pollutions!!!
So the next time you go shopping, THINK ENVIRONMENT, THINK SAVINGS and THINK OF THE FUTURE!!!
Enjoy your GREEN SHOPPING…..!!!