After southern Thailand blasts, Wisma Putra tells Malaysians to think twice before crossing border

Share this page

Malay Mail

KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 23 — Malaysians planning to travel to or cross into southern Thailand have been urged to exercise heightened caution and postpone non-essential trips following a wave of bomb blasts and other attacks across the region last night.

The Foreign Ministry, also called Wisma Putra, said no Malaysians had been reported affected by the incidents in Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat, but advised those residing in, travelling through or planning trips to the affected areas to remain vigilant and follow local security instructions.

“Malaysians residing in, travelling through, or intending to travel to and from the southern border provinces of Thailand are strongly advised to exercise heightened caution, remain vigilant, and strictly observe all safety advisories, curfews, and security instructions implemented by local authorities,” it said in a media advisory today.

The advisory came after a Malaysian visitor to Sungai Golok found himself stranded in the Thai border town when explosions began at about 9pm, with security forces shutting roads and preventing vehicles from reaching the border complex.

Residents in Kelantan border towns like Rantau Panjang, Pengkalan Kubor and Pasir Mas also said the blasts were powerful enough to be heard and, in some homes, felt , with one resident saying his house walls shook.

The attacks were reported across Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat, with Thai authorities reporting 51 incidents by midnight, including explosions, arson and attacks on public facilities, while curfews and heightened security measures were imposed in affected areas.

Wisma Putra said the Malaysian Embassy in Bangkok and Consulate General in Songkhla were maintaining close contact with Thai authorities to monitor developments and safeguard Malaysians in the country.

Malaysians in Thailand have also been urged to register and regularly update their contact details through the ministry’s e-Konsular portal to facilitate communication and consular assistance.

The ministry said Malaysians requiring emergency consular assistance could contact the embassy in Bangkok or the consulate general in Songkhla through their respective hotlines.

Date: 23 August, 2026 3:45 pm
Source: Malay Mail

💬 Join the Conversation! 💬

We’ve disabled comments on our posts and pages to keep the discussions organized and lively! But don’t worry – the conversation isn’t over. Head over to our forum and share your thoughts, ideas, and feedback with the community! It’s the perfect place to connect, learn, and engage with others who care about the same things. We can’t wait to hear from you!

Click here to join the discussion now! 🚀

💡 Want your business featured here?
Click here to advertise with us →
Scroll to Top