Iran blames US military operations for Gulf pollution, demands trillions in damages

Share this page

Malay Mail

 

TEHRAN, Aug 17 — Iran’s foreign ministry today blamed pollution in Gulf waters on US military operations in the region, after several oil spills were reported.

“This environmental damage stems from the US military presence and the wars it has waged in the region over the past five decades,” foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei told a news briefing.

“The damage caused to the environment of the Persian Gulf and the Sea of Oman is not solely linked to this war.”

He called for the United States to be held accountable, estimating the damage at “trillions of dollars.”

Last week, Iran called for compensation after an oil slick in the Strait of Hormuz reached the island of Qeshm, affecting beaches and an environmentally sensitive mangrove forest.

At the time, Baqaei cited preliminary evidence identifying “a foreign bulk carrier” as the source of the spill, which Iranian officials later said had been “completely cleaned up.”

Earlier, Omani state media reported that an oil slick from a tanker that ran aground off Oman had reached the coastline.

An AFP investigation previously found that the vessel had been stranded for weeks near Oman’s Al-Qibliyyah island after it was damaged by explosions. — AFP

 

Date: 17 August, 2026 5:00 pm
Source: Malay Mail

💬 Join the Conversation! 💬

We’ve disabled comments on our posts and pages to keep the discussions organized and lively! But don’t worry – the conversation isn’t over. Head over to our forum and share your thoughts, ideas, and feedback with the community! It’s the perfect place to connect, learn, and engage with others who care about the same things. We can’t wait to hear from you!

Click here to join the discussion now! 🚀

💡 Want your business featured here?
Click here to advertise with us →
Scroll to Top