Malaysia, Philippines discuss swift repatriation of 5,000 undocumented migrants detained in Sabah depots

Share this page

Malay Mail

MANILA, Aug 18 — Malaysia and the Philippines today discussed measures to expedite the repatriation of more than 5,000 undocumented Philippine migrants held at four immigration depot centres in Sabah.

Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan said screening by the Philippine Embassy in Kuala Lumpur identified over 1,000 individuals ready for immediate deportation.

“We discussed how to accelerate repatriation of these undocumented migrants so the Philippine government can take them back via sea routes or other viable means.

“These detention centres can no longer accommodate such a high number of detainees,” he told Bernama following the 9th Malaysia-Philippines Joint Commission Meeting (JCM) at the Department of Foreign Affairs here today.

He said Malaysia wants the Philippine government to act swiftly to repatriate its citizens home while screening the remaining batches continues.

Mohamad said both nations also discussed educational provisions for the undocumented migrants’ children in Sabah. Malaysia agreed to study the need for their continued education before repatriation.

He stressed that any educational facility must be managed directly by the Philippine government to ensure proper oversight.

“We do not want private, unregulated schools being set up without proper monitoring,” he said.

Touching on the Sabah claim raised by certain quarters in the Philippines, Mohamad said the matter was not discussed directly during the JCM. He urged the Asean member nation to respect international law and the global recognition of Sabah as part of Malaysia.

“Sabah was recognised by the United Nations (UN) through a commission presented by the UN Secretary-General as part of Malaysian territory. Therefore, there should be no issue over claiming Sabah is not part of Malaysia,” he said.

Mohamad had previously said that Malaysia would send a diplomatic note to the Philippines after Senator Robin Padilla urged President Ferdinand Marcos Jr to revive the nation’s claim over Sabah.

Earlier, Mohamad co-chaired the JCM alongside Philippine Secretary of Foreign Affairs Ma. Theresa P. Lazaro. — Bernama

Date: 18 August, 2026 6:00 pm
Source: Malay Mail

💬 Join the Conversation! 💬

We’ve disabled comments on our posts and pages to keep the discussions organized and lively! But don’t worry – the conversation isn’t over. Head over to our forum and share your thoughts, ideas, and feedback with the community! It’s the perfect place to connect, learn, and engage with others who care about the same things. We can’t wait to hear from you!

Click here to join the discussion now! 🚀

💡 Want your business featured here?
Click here to advertise with us →
Scroll to Top