No militants have crossed into Malaysia after southern Thailand attacks, authorities say

Share this page

Malay Mail

PASIR MAS, Aug 23 — There has been no reported attempt by militants or guerrillas from Southern Thailand to cross into Kelantan so far, following last night’s coordinated bombings and violent attacks across three southern Thai provinces.

Confirming this, Southeast Brigade Commander of the General Operations Force (PGA) SAC Ahmad Radzi Hussain said border security along the Malaysia-Thailand frontier is being tightened as a precaution, with front-line personnel on high alert for any potential infiltration attempts.

“We are constantly reinforcing border controls and reminding our front-line teams to stay vigilant. We will act swiftly if there are any incidents or attempts to enter,” he told Bernama today.

He noted that, as of now, the only persistent issue at the border remains the entry of undocumented migrants.

On cooperation with Thai authorities, Ahmad Radzi said bilateral relations are strong, with the Regional Border Committee (RBC) serving as an effective platform for intelligence-sharing and coordination. 

He said the RBC meeting is scheduled for Sept 1 to 3 in Hat Yai, Thailand, and will be attended by Kelantan police chief Datuk Mohd Yusoff Mamat, Kedah police chief Datuk Adzli Abu Shah, the acting Perlis police chief, himself, and Malaysian Armed Forces representatives.

“We maintain a continuous exchange of intelligence, and our cooperation with Thai authorities has always been solid,” he emphasised.

The RBC, he added, operates through six working groups covering border management, land affairs, disaster response, and intelligence, all designed to strengthen security collaboration between Malaysia and Thailand.

On the ground, a Bernama check in Pekan Rantau Panjang near the border today found that PGA personnel have intensified patrols and surveillance at strategic spots, particularly along key access routes leading into the frontier.

Meanwhile, Mohd Yusoff confirmed today that no Malaysians were caught in last night’s bombings and violence across three southern Thai provinces.

He advised Malaysians to remain cautious and postpone non-essential travel to Thailand until the situation stabilises.

Narathiwat province had been placed under a curfew from 10.15pm last night until 5am today, following reports of over 50 bombings, arson targeting local government offices and tyre-burning. 

The powerful explosions, heard from Narathiwat last night, sent shockwaves through border communities, rattling homes and raising alarm among residents in Kampung Lubok Gong and Kampung Tersang in Rantau Panjang. — Bernama

Date: 23 August, 2026 8:00 pm
Source: Malay Mail

💬 Join the Conversation! 💬

We’ve disabled comments on our posts and pages to keep the discussions organized and lively! But don’t worry – the conversation isn’t over. Head over to our forum and share your thoughts, ideas, and feedback with the community! It’s the perfect place to connect, learn, and engage with others who care about the same things. We can’t wait to hear from you!

Click here to join the discussion now! 🚀

💡 Want your business featured here?
Click here to advertise with us →
Scroll to Top