Penang’s undersea tunnel still on the map, draft plan keeps idea alive for 2040

Share this page

Malay Mail

GEORGE TOWN, Aug 17 — The proposed undersea tunnel or third bridge linking Penang island to the mainland was included as an indicative proposal in the Draft Penang State Structure Plan 2040 (RSN Penang 2040), Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow said today.

He said the project remain in the draft plan as the agreement with the appointed company is still valid, although its eventual implementation would depend on development schedules.

“They are still there. The agreement is still valid and we have already awarded the tender to the company,” he told reporters after launching the publicity and public participation programme for the draft plan.

“Like many development areas and zones, they are shown only indicatively,” he said.

The third link, categorised as either an undersea tunnel or a bridge, was indicated in the draft plan as connecting Gurney Drive on the island to Bagan Ajam on the mainland.

He said the development areas and projects in the draft plan are indicative only as the implementation depends on the government of the day or sometimes, on the private sector in accordance with the designated development-control zones.

He said the draft RSN Penang 2040 should serve as a “compass” for the state’s development.

He said the draft plan gives clear direction on how Penang is developed, preserved and handed down to future generations.

“What we plan today will determine the face of Penang in 2040 and the generations after it, because Penang 2040 is not merely the state government’s vision; it is our shared future,” he said.

Chow also urged government departments and agencies to submit proposals for approved major projects to be included in the draft structure plan.

“It is important for us to include any proposal at the respective departmental level if approval has already been granted by the ministry to implement certain projects, especially major projects,” he said in his speech earlier.

“Provide this input during these public hearing sessions so that we can include these projects in RSN 2040,” he said.

“If there are plans that cannot be included, then when they are implemented, they will raise question marks among stakeholders, including the media, who will ask why this proposal is not in the RSN or in the local plan, for example,” he added.

Chow stressed that the draft was not a final or flawless document, and said the public could examine it, give feedback, submit proposals and challenge suggestions based on facts and public interest.

On Pulau Jerejak, he said the island is also included in the draft plan, but stressed that most of its land remains designated as a permanent forest reserve.

He said more than 80 acres of privately owned land are involved in the development proposals previously announced, while projects within the permanent forest reserve could only be considered for utilities or infrastructure.

“What was announced involves privately owned land, not the permanent forest reserve on Pulau Jerejak,” he said.

Asked whether the plan considered earthquake resilience and other disasters, Chow said disaster-related concerns had been given attention in the policies and development strategies proposed for the future.

Meanwhile, PLANMalaysia director-general Datuk Alias Rameli said the RSN Penang 2040 study was fully supported by a RM2 million allocation under the Fifth Rolling Plan of the 12th Malaysia Plan, with funding to continue under the First Rolling Plan of the 13th Malaysia Plan.

He said the study was completed over 12 months, from April 2025 to April 2026.

The public participation programme will run for four weeks until September 19.

The draft will be available for inspection at PLANMalaysia Penang in Komtar, the Seberang Perai City Council, five District and Land Offices, and online through the e-Publicity 2.0 platform on PLANMalaysia Penang’s official website.

Alias said the RSN is an official legal document under the Town and Country Planning Act 1976 that will guide major policies and proposals involving land use, the economy and the environment once gazetted.

“We understand that development must take place. It must be sustainable, and we must blend and balance the needs of economic growth, environmental preservation, and social inclusivity,” he said.

Date: 17 August, 2026 1:00 pm
Source: Malay Mail

💬 Join the Conversation! 💬

We’ve disabled comments on our posts and pages to keep the discussions organized and lively! But don’t worry – the conversation isn’t over. Head over to our forum and share your thoughts, ideas, and feedback with the community! It’s the perfect place to connect, learn, and engage with others who care about the same things. We can’t wait to hear from you!

Click here to join the discussion now! 🚀

💡 Want your business featured here?
Click here to advertise with us →
Scroll to Top