WASHINGTON, May 18 — US President Donald Trump said he “should have asked for more” of a stake in Intel on behalf of the US government, in an interview with Fortune magazine published on Monday.
The Trump administration last year took a 10 per cent stake in Intel and announced an investment of about US$10 billion (RM39.7 billion) in the chipmaker for building or expanding factories in the US.
Eight months after the deal, the government’s Intel position has grown to be worth more than US$50 billion.
“Do I get credit for it? Does anybody even know I did that?” Trump told Fortune.
When he was asked what the government’s exit strategy could be, the Fortune report said Trump believed he could sell shares slowly over time without causing the stock to plummet.
Trump said: “Intel should be the biggest company in the world right now.” Referring to TSMC’s chip dominance, he said: “Intel would have all that business now,” had he been the president earlier.
“If I had been president when all these companies started sending their chips in from China, I would have put a tariff on that would have protected Intel,” he said.
Fortune said Trump gave the interview before his first visit to Beijing since 2017. The visit ended on Friday with no major breakthroughs on trade or tangible help from Beijing to end the more than two-month-old US-Israeli war on Iran. — Reuters
Date: 18 May, 2026 6:00 pm
Source: Malay Mail
💬 Join the Conversation! 💬
We’ve disabled comments on our posts and pages to keep the discussions organized and lively! But don’t worry – the conversation isn’t over. Head over to our forum and share your thoughts, ideas, and feedback with the community! It’s the perfect place to connect, learn, and engage with others who care about the same things. We can’t wait to hear from you!
