Viral Bukit Bintang flare stunt ends with fines for clothing brand founder, six others

Share this page

Malay Mail

KUALA LUMPUR, May 22 — Seven men, including the founder of a local clothing brand, were fined by the magistrates’ courts here today after pleading guilty to a string of offences linked to a viral publicity stunt involving flares and reckless riding in Bukit Bintang last weekend.

According to the New Straits Times, the group admitted to various charges before three separate magistrates linked to the early morning stunt at the busy Jalan Sultan Ismail-Jalan Bukit Bintang junction on May 18.

One of the accused, 31-year-old Mohamad Azhar Mohamed Idris, was fined RM4,500 or six months’ jail in default after pleading guilty to stopping a vehicle in a dangerous manner at a traffic light junction at about 2.07am.

He was charged under Section 48(1) of the Road Transport Act 1987, which carries a maximum fine of RM5,000, up to one year’s imprisonment, or both.

Five others — Amir Adzim Shahrul Nizam, 25; Khairul Hamizan Zainudin, 28; Muhammad Izz Mifzal Mohd Noordzlie, 22; Muhammad Ariff Aiman Mohamed Nasir, 23; and Muhammad Ikhwan Daniel Azman, 24 — admitted to committing public nuisance at the so-called “Shibuya Junction” area in Bukit Bintang around 2am that same day.

They were each fined RM400 under Section 268 of the Penal Code.

Another accused, Muhammad Haziq Akmal Mohd Yazid, 24, was fined RM50 after pleading guilty to igniting a flare in a manner prosecutors said endangered public safety.

The charge was framed under Section 4 of the Minor Offences Act, which provides for a maximum RM50 fine.

Deputy public prosecutor Hench Go told the court the group had carried out the stunt using a pickup truck and electric scrambler motorcycles while setting off flares in the middle of one of Kuala Lumpur’s busiest nightlife districts.

“This was a very dangerous stunt carried out on a busy street. The court must impose a deterrent sentence,” he said.

Lawyer Khairul Muktar, who represented the accused alongside Simret Singh, appealed for leniency for Amir Adzim, described in court as the owner of the clothing brand behind the promotional shoot.

Khairul said his client was remorseful and had cooperated fully with investigators.

The court heard the stunt was part of a promotional video shoot for the brand’s anniversary celebration. Clips later spread widely online, showing individuals setting off flares atop a moving vehicle while motorcycles weaved through traffic in the heart of Bukit Bintang.

Police had previously detained 15 individuals over the incident.

Date: 22 May, 2026 6:00 pm
Source: Malay Mail

💬 Join the Conversation! 💬

We’ve disabled comments on our posts and pages to keep the discussions organized and lively! But don’t worry – the conversation isn’t over. Head over to our forum and share your thoughts, ideas, and feedback with the community! It’s the perfect place to connect, learn, and engage with others who care about the same things. We can’t wait to hear from you!

Click here to join the discussion now! 🚀

💡 Want your business featured here?
Click here to advertise with us →
Scroll to Top